This subject guide contains a non-inclusive list of resources not only housed in the Henry Pfeiffer Library but also electronic sources, some of which may be accessed from off campus. It is designed to serve as a starting point for research in the fields of American Sign Language, Interpreter Training Program, and Spanish.
Library of Congress Classification Headings
American Sign Language and Interpreter Training materials can be found under the "HV" subheading in the stacks. Materials about the Spanish language can be found under the "PC" subheading and materials dealing with Spanish and Hispanic history and culture can be found the "DP" subheading and "E" and "F" headings, respectively. A more detailed breakdown of the "E" and "F" headings can be found at the Library of Congress Classification Outline (PDF). You can search the Henry Pfeiffer Library online book catalog here.
Select Reference Books
- Talking with your Hands, Listening with your Eyes, Ref. HV2474 .G73 2002
- American Sign Language, Ref. HV2475 .S77 1998
- American Sign Language: a Comprehensive Dictionary, Ref. HV2475 .S77 1978
- A New Grammar of Modern Spanish, Ref. PC4112 .B88 2000
- Encicplopedia del Idioma, Ref. PC4667 .A4
- Cassell's Spanish Dictionary, Ref. PC4640 .C35 1977
- Encyclopedia Latina, Ref. E184 .S75 E587 2005
- Reference Library of Hispanic America, Ref. E184 .S75 R44 2003
- Encyclopedia of Latin America, Ref. F1406 .E52
- Mexico A-Z, Ref. F1204 .N42
Electronic Books on Credo Reference
Refer to the Tutorials page for tips on how to search in particular databases.
- Credo Reference
A database containing 100 digital books. This database may be accessed from off campus.
- Academic Search Premier
A general database containing abstracts for over 8,000 journals and full-text for more than 4,500 of those titles. This database may be accessed from off campus.
A full-text general database containing several academic journals.
- OmniFile Full Text Select
A general database indexing over 1,600 full-text titles. This database may be accessed from off campus.
- Journal of Interpretation
- Research @ Gallaudet
- Sign Language Studies
- Volta Voices
- American Sign Language Browser
- American Sign Language Linguistic Research Project
- The Deaf Resource Library
- Deaf Linx
- The Interpreter's Friend
- ASL University
An online resource for ASL students, teachers, and interpreters.
An online Spanish-language community.
- The Spanish CALL Project
A variety of Spanish-language materials.
An online French, Italian, and Spanish Dictionary.