News from MacMurray College
MacMurray College announces scholarship recipients
Students are awarded merit scholarships.
MacMurray College honored the following merit-scholarship recipients at its 164th opening convocation on August 25, 2010.
Freshman scholarships are awarded to incoming students who have met certain ACT and GPA requirements. They are named scholarships, given by alumni and friends of the college.
The McGaw Scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman who displays exceptional leadership and scholarship.
- Jacob Goodwin of Fort Worth, Texas, was awarded the scholarship. He is the son of Rick and Gail Goodwin in Fort Worth.
The Ranson Scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman who displays exceptional scholarship and leadership. The scholarship was created in 1980 by Rose Ranson, the Class of 1916 and friends of Ranson. In 1999, the scholarship was elevated to an honor scholarship as a result of a generous donation from the estate of Claire and Waldo Ranson.
- LeeAnn Loyd of Rushville, Ill., was awarded a Ranson scholarship. She is a Nursing major and the daughter of Walt and Lisa Loyd in Rushville. Loyd graduated from Rushville- Industry High School in 2010.
- Ellie Thomas of Brighton, Ill., was awarded a Ranson scholarship. Thomas is majoring in Psychology. The 2010 Southwestern High School graduate is the daughter of Frank and Becky Thomas in Brighton.
- Kimberley Yeley of Ashland, Ill., was awarded a Ranson scholarship. She is a Nursing major and the daughter of Carrie Yeley of Ashland. She graduated from A-C Central High School in Ashland in 2010.
The Belle Short Lambert Scholarship was established by legacies from the estate of Edward L. and Marion C. Lambert and gifts from their daughter, Elizabeth, Class of 1936. Edward’s mother, for whom the scholarship is named, was an 1873 graduate and her father, Rev. William Short, was president of MacMurray from 1875-1893.
- Michael Cowell of Wildwood Mo., was awarded the Belle Short Lambert Scholarship. Cowell is a freshman majoring in Sport Management and plays baseball. Cowell graduated from Lafayette High School in 2010 and is the son of Rob and Kim Cowell of Wildwood, Mo.
Transfer scholarships are awarded to transfer students who have met certain GPA requirements. The following students were awarded transfer scholarships.
- Kayla Anders of Murrayville Ill., is a junior majoring in Criminal Justice. She is the daughter of Steve and Debi Anders in Murrayville and a 2008 graduate of Jacksonville High School.
- Seth Beavers of Jacksonville, Ill., is the son of Scott Beavers of Jacksonville and Lesa Martin of Franklin, Ill.
- Jessica Jamison of Beardstown Ill., is a Business major. She is the daughter of Steve and Janice Jamison and a 2008 graduate of Beardstown High School.
- Ashley Jane Maro of Jacksonville, Ill., is a Nursing major. She is the daughter of Anthony and Elizabeth Maro of Jacksonville and a 2008 graduate of Jacksonville High School.
- Switi Patel is an Accounting major. Patel graduated from North Bergen High School in New Jersey in 2009. She is the daughter of Dineshkumar and Mohini Patel of New Bergen, N.J., and the niece of Bobby Patel in Jacksonville.
- Samantha Smith of Loami, Ill., is a Nursing major. A 1994 graduate of New Berlin High School, she is the daughter of Elizabeth Smith and the late Harry Smith and the wife of Glenn Smith Jr.
- Chandra Snider of Roodhouse, Ill., is an Education major. She is a 2008 North Greene High School graduate and the daughter of David Snider of Winchester, Ill. and Lena Snider inVienna, Ill.
- Lyndsie Springer of Jacksonville, Ill., is a Nursing major. She is the daughter of Mark Springer in Pearl, Ill. and Jerri Springer in Jacksonville. She graduated from Jacksonville High School in 2008.
- Shelby Woodward of Breese, Ill., graduated from Mulberry Grove Senior High School in 2009 where she was valedictorian. Woodward is the daughter of Bill Woodward of Greenville, Ill., and Christina Warner of Breese, Ill.