October 12, 2012
JACKSONVILLE, IL – The 2012 MacMurray College Homecoming, with the theme, “got kilt?” celebrating the college’s Scottish heritage, will begin Thursday evening, Oct. 18. Many of the events during this weekend of fun and festivities are open to the public. Here’s the lineup:
THURSDAY, OCT. 18
- Torchlight Parade at 7 p.m. -- A MacMurray annual tradition, students will start at Jane Hall at the southwest corner of College Avenue and Clay Street and proceed to Freesen Football Field for a pep rally.
- Pep Rally, at 7:30 p.m. -- The 2012 Homecoming Court will be crowned and the winners of the banner decorating contest will be announced. The Homecoming King and Queen are selected by a vote of the students; the winning banners, produced by residence halls and student organizations will be hung around campus during homecoming.
FRIDAY, OCT. 19
- Volleyball match vs. Beloit College at 7 p.m. – The Highlanders volleyball team takes on Beloit College in the Wall Gymnasium, located in the Jenkins Education Complex on the east side of campus.
SATURDAY, OCT. 20 – HOMECOMING DAY
- Harker 5K Run/Walk at 8:30 a.m. – Gathering at the corner of East Beecher Avenue and Lurton Street, runners will wind around campus and through town, returning to the Hospitality Tent starting point, just north of the MacMurray soccer field.
Registration/check-in for the run starts at 7:30 a.m. Awards will be presented about 9:30 a.m. (Participants may enter the race the morning of the event.)
- Baseball team pancake breakfast fundraiser, 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. The baseball program will sponsor an all-you-can eat breakfast at Applebee’s, 1721 W. Morton Ave. For tickets, which cost $5, contact coach Andrew Bartman at 479-7153 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Photography exhibition, 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. to noon -- MacMurray College President Colleen Hester’s photo show, “Images: MacMurray and other Wonders of the World,” will be open for viewing at the Applebee Art Gallery in the Putnam Center for the Arts, located on the southeast corner of Clay and East State streets.
- Silent auction and sale, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. -- MacMurray paraphernalia and gear will be available for bid or “buy it now” at the Hospitality Tent south of the tennis courts and north of the soccer field.
- Homecoming parade, 10 a.m. at the corner of East State and Clay streets. -- Parade marshals are MacMurray College Board of Trustees Chairman Allen Croessmann, a 1968 graduate of MacMurray, and his wife, Nancy Teel Croessmann, a 1969 MacMurray alumnae. The St. Andrew’s Society of Central Illinois Pipe Band will be part of the Homecoming parade.
The parade goes west on State Street to the Downtown Square, proceeds along the north side of the square to Sandy Avenue, where it turns south on Sandy to College Avenue. The parade returns to campus on College, where it ends in front of Kathryn Hall. (see attached parade route).
Check-in and parade formation for entrants begins at 8:15 a.m. at a registration tent adjacent to the staging area on State Street east of Clay Street, or you can pre-register by calling the Office of Student Life at (217) 479-7123.
- Homecoming festival, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on campus -- Student organizations will be selling food 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. north of the soccer field; and an activity area for young children will run 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. north of the soccer field.
- Campus tours, 12:30 p.m. beginning on the front steps of Kathryn Hall on College Avenue. -- The walking tours, led by the MacMurray Office of Admissions, will take about 45 minutes.
- Football game, 1 p.m. at Freesen Field -- The Highlanders take on Westminster College, The pre-game show, with the introduction of the Homecoming King, Queen and court, will begin at 12:50 p.m.
Chris Skyles, of Chicago, a 1981 MacMurray graduate, will sing “God Bless America.” Donna Adams Stare, a 1982 graduate and current resident of Jacksonville, IL, will sing the National Anthem. American Sign Language students and alumni will interpret the National Anthem.
The halftime show will be a performance by the St. Andrew’s Society of Central Illinois Celtic.
- Men’s soccer, 1 p.m. vs. Blackburn College at the soccer field.
- Women’s soccer, 3 p.m. vs. Blackburn College at the soccer field.
- Men’s alumni baseball game, 3 p.m. at the Palmer Softball Field east of the football field. – Former baseball team members will play a game of slow-pitch softball.
SUNDAY, OCT. 21
- Homecoming worship service, 10 a.m. at the Annie Merner Chapel, located on the northeast corner of College Avenue and Clay Street. -- The service will be led by Amy Kay Pavlovich, College chaplain and director of religious life. Everyone is welcome.
For more information, contact:
Ted Roth, Director of Public Relations
Work: 217-479-7027 | Cell: 217-883-3340
Email: Send Email