Resources for Students
The following websites offer resources to assist students with their study and test-taking strategies as well as their overall college success.
- howtostudy.org (Lucy MacDonald) All subjects including effective study, memory, and writing strategies and help for test anxiety.
- Academic Skills Videos (McMaster University) Assists students with improving memory, time management, note-taking, motivation and procrastination, and math and writing.
- SARC The Student Academic Resource Center at the University of Central Florida provides handouts on study strategies, reading techniques, vocabulary building, self-diagnostic tests, and much more.
- Study Guides and Strategies (Joe Landsberger) Students can find tips and examples for organizing and preparation for studying, test taking, and researching for projects or presentations. Working in groups and resources for several specific subject areas are also provided.
- Overcoming Procrastination (University at Buffalo, State University of New York)
Writing and Grammar
- Writing Resources (Cleveland State University's Writing Center) Provides tips on brainstorming, grammar, paragraph unity, and thesis statements to APA and MLA documentation.
- OWL (Purdue University's Online Writing Lab) Gives students access to popular sites for correct MLA and APA format, proper development of a thesis statement, tips for business letter and resume writing, and information about how to avoid plagiarism.
- Audience, Paragraph Development, Transitions, Editing and Proofreading (The Writing Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill)
- Grammar Slammer (English Plus) Offers grammar topics, including punctuation, capitalization, style and usage, as well as a list of common mistakes and choices and how to prevent them.
- Plagiarism: What is it? What are the Consequences? & How to Avoid It (PDF)
- NurseReview.Org - Study Skills and Test Strategies for the New Nursing Student (Carolee Bromme, RN, MSN, CCRN) Video with tips from former nursing students.
Math & Science
- Math.com Assistance in various levels of math subjects such as pre-algebra, geometry, algebra, trigonometry, statistics, and calculus and includes topics such as fractions, percents, exponents, and square roots, just to name a few.
- GCalc An easy-to-download online graphing calculator that gives you a hassle-free way of graphing functionalities for algebra, pre-calculus, calculus, and more.
- Study Guide Zone Offers a Science and Technology section which can help students navigate though their science textbook, understand the scientific method, and get tips on how to write a lab report.
- Kendra Van Wagner from About.com discusses some useful Study Tips for Psychology Students including helpful ideas for planning and scheduling study time.
For more information, contact the Director of the Center for Learning Excellence, Education Complex, 2nd floor, at 217-479-7178 or via email.
Last updated: May 1, 2013