Open Posting: Assistant Professor of Mathematics
MacMurray College was founded in 1846; has a strong history of undergraduate education; and is located in the affordable, safe, and stimulating city of Jacksonville, Illinois. Our mission is "to transform the lives of our students by providing an exceptional, liberal arts general education and courses of study that prepare graduates for professional careers, further education, and other challenges facing the human community in the 21st century." The College has a culturally diverse student body of over 600 students and a faculty:student ratio of 1:12. We offer 35 academic programs with top majors in Nursing, Criminal Justice, Business (Accounting, Business Administration, & Sports Management), Education (Deaf & Hard of Hearing Education, Physical Education, Secondary Education, & Special Education), Social Work, and Interpreter Training (American Sign Language). MacMurray College is a warm, engaged, student-centered learning community, focused on student success.
MacMurray College is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced candidate to fill Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Mathematics beginning August 2014. The faculty member will be responsible for teaching Developmental Mathematics and Mathematics for the Liberal Arts. These courses are critical to our general education program as they provide students with fundamental math skills. The successful applicant will be a patient, student-oriented individual ready to guide students from a wide range of backgrounds toward academic success.
- Teach a variety of mathematics courses including Developmental Mathematics, Mathematics for the Liberal Arts, College Algebra & Trigonometry, and Calculus as needed (12 credit hours per semester).
- Work closely with our Center for Learning Excellence staff to utilize the Hawke’s Mastery Learning computer software program in the classroom.
- Be accessible for student tutoring outside of the classroom with some formal office hours held in the Center for Learning Excellence
- Ph.D. in Mathematics or Mathematics Education from an accredited university/college.
- College teaching experience with underprepared students or training in developmental courses with classroom teaching experience at any level (middle school or above).
- Evidence of ability to work with students from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Training in teaching developmental courses preferred.
- A demonstrated interest in helping all students learn with the focus on growth.
MacMurray College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status. Interested candidates should send a cover letter that describes their abilities to teach these courses, a curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references to HR@mac.edu.
Review of applications will begin February 15, 2014 and will continue until the position is filled.